A woman and man take a swan boat ride on the lagoon in the Boston Public Garden. The plan for the Public Garden by George F. Meacham included a pond. The four-acre lagoon was completed in 1861. Architect William Gibbons Preston designed the suspension footbridge, which was finished in 1867. Row houses on Boylston Street and Arlington Street and the Ether Monument, which commemorates the first successful public use of ether by William Thomas Green Morton in the operating theatre of the Massachusetts General Hospital on October 16, 1846, can be seen in the background.